Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Mystery Of The 3rd Houseplant


Among the many places I hobbled through yesterday in the city, I made a trip to the Greenmarket in Union Square. Aside from some blueberries and some fantastic ripe juicy peaches I bought I was also looking for a new houseplant. I keep a couple of plants on the kitchen window sill that are thriving. I periodically add some fresh potting soil and water them when they get "wilty". That's it. They grow. Not so the plants in my bedroom window. The two on the left I've had for over a year. They live, but thriving is not how I would describe them. The center plant has grown some but it always looks sickly to me. It should by all rights be taller with fatter leaves. I've seen grown up versions and I've definitely raised a runt. The one on the right is supposed to flower every year. All it does is wilt and freshen after it's watered. It hasn't really grown much either. The third plant on the left is dead. All the third plants die. No matter what I buy. I try to buy plants with similar care needs. Not too much watering (because I forget) and lots of morning light. But the 3rd plant always dies. Obviously, the location in general is not plant friendly. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why the 3rd plant is destined to die. In any case, I couldn't really find a plant at the market I liked enough to kill. They all breathed a collective sigh of relief as I left to buy new lifting gloves.

No comments: