Sunday, June 06, 2010

My Eyes!!

It's something I've been thinking about for years. Almost as long as when they first announced the procedure. For the longest time I was too invested in my drinking career to give it any serious thought. Then I was always too broke.

But,as they say, a whole new world has opened up to me with sobriety. And with it, comes new opportunities to do some things I always wanted to do. Like fix my eyes.

I started wearing glasses in the second grade, and my vision has gotten progressively worse over the years. I switched to contact lenses sometime in junior high or high school. So long ago that there were no soft or gas permeable options. Just hunks of brick you had to develop a callous under your eyelid to tolerate.

My last eye exam resulted in new glasses, new contacts, as well as the addition of reading glasses over my contacts to fix the fact that I could no longer read in dim lighting. Too labor intensive and I was always forgetting the readers when I needed them. Also, Riley ate the first pair of new glasses, so I had to immediately replace them with a cheaper pair. Hundreds of dollars out the window plus the cost of new contact lenses twice a year.

Enough.

I've been squirreling away money whenever I had a particularly lucrative shift or some unexpected cash was available. It added up. Enough for me to seriously consider, and then schedule, laser (LASIK) eye surgery for the end of next week. I may still end up needing reading glasses. Maybe not. But if it works out well the prescription eyeglasses and the contact lenses will be history.

Will keep you posted, as next week promises to be nuts!

No comments: